Clean Eating on Budget

Eating clean on a budget is NOT hard. We've established that it can be done and thankfully you don't have to break the bank to do it. You may have to do some planning around the seasons .. and well with Fall upon us, for me that is THE EASIEST to save money. WHY?

Soups & chili.


SUPER versatile and also the ingredients wont break your wallet and you can freeze them for pennies on the serving!

For example: This is my amazing (21 day fix approved) Chili recipe. 

I made some this week (even though it's 90 degrees still in West Texas) and here is the break down: 


Ingredients:

1 medium onion                                                                                       ($0.50)
vegetable broth                                                                                        ($1.29) 
tomato paste                                                                                           ($0.70)
can of black beans ($.90) / bag of hard black beans                                        ($1.50)
can of kidney or cannellini beans ($.90)  / bag of hard kidney beans                  ($1.50)
1 lb of ground turkey                                                                              ($4.99) 

^^^ Now i use fresh dried beans and soak then overnight then cook them in the crockpot on low for hours before I add my other ingredients .. WHY? For $1.50 a bag (so an added cost of $1.20) I get 3x the amount and NONE of the added sodium or processing!

The other ingredients are spices: (cumin, chili powder, garlic) 
I ALWAYS have these on hand because I make my own seasonings for everything ...  if you need to add these to your pantry, try places like the dollar store and big lots -- they are like 2-3 dollars cheaper EACH than the grocery store!! 


SO I put all this in the crockpot and stir on occasion and voila! 

All in all this 1 list of ingredients made TWELVE servings of turkey chili. That breaks down to spending $10.48 for the whole crockpot .... WHICH IS $0.87 A SERVING and 10 more meals I DO NOT have to cook!! 

Happy Fall!! 

Best,
Chelsea

facebook.com/chelsea.eckelkamp 



No comments:

Post a Comment